Monday, July 16, 2012

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins 

Published by Disney Hyperion 2012
Hardcover 327 Pages

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late? (Thanks to Goodreads for the synopsis)



Recommended to: Anyone who has read the previous Hex Hall books. I honestly don't know how you could not after the previous two and that crazy ending! For anyone who hasn't read this series you really should. It's light and fun, and a nice break from the very serious paranormal books. It's one of my favorite series and I can't wait until I get the time to reread them! 


*Again I want to make a super quick apology for lack of reviews. I got so caught up into reading about four books that I totally forgot to sit down and write a review of a previously read book. So I literally just finished this book and had to get my review out.* 


 As always this review is spoiler free! Enjoy and let me know what you think!


This series has been a crazy fun wild ride. The last book did not disappoint in most ways. I found myself not loving this book as much as the other two. Don't get me wrong it was still really funny and wrapped up almost everything, and overall was an awesome book. However when I got down to the rating on Goodreads, I just couldn't give this one the five stars that I gave the other two, so it got a four. It was so hard to give this book only a four! And I felt really bad about doing it but it was the honest thing to do. 


As said before, there is so many great things about this book, and because of that I'm not going to spend much time talking about them. The characters, as always were amazing and came back as their usual selves, providing the reader with endless laughing and smiles, even in the toughest times. The plot, again as always, moved at a great pace, not too fast but faster than most. Hawkins does a wonderful job of keeping things moving along and not wasting any pages or time with useless little scences. Everything has a purpose and reason. Basically Hawkins knows her stuff! The writing is amazing the characters and plot are fabulous and it creates a masterpiece of a book. And let's not forget that this is a trilogy. Why is that so important? Because it's the only one that has stuck to it's original plan and ended. Amazing! A trilogy that ends with three books! So many series these days just continue on and on, especially when I feel like they could have ended and maybe the next book(s) are being forced out onto the pages. Anyway, that's another discussion for another time. Bottom line is this trilogy! 


Now for the reasons this book wasn't quite a good it's predecessors. The Brannicks, I loved them! But I felt like they were a little bare. What I mean is, I felt like there was so much more to them and their story. In fact that's one of my main things, I really want to know what happens with Izzy and, let's just say, a little mirror. As much as I was hoping for answers throughout the book I know that Hawkins has said she may continue with the world. Personally I'm hoping she was talking about Izzy and her story! Fingers crossed, knock on wood, throw salt over shoulder, and every other way to not jinx something and maybe we'll get another book . To Rachel Hawkins, PLEASE write more on her! I'm dying to know what's going on!


The other thing that was a little unexpected was the ending, now I know that so many major epic end scenes have been done, as well as un-epic ones. I'll just say this one was shortish and while it all tied up, it seemed a little fast. Now I'm talking the "battle" up to the end. It all just happened so fast and then there was the aftermath which seemed a little fast to me to, and that with no explanation about Izzy and the mirror made me want just a little more. 


Overall this book was still very good and every Hex Hall fan should read it, again, how could anyone not with the ending in Demonglass! Overall I was more than satisfied with most of the book and will definitely read this one again, once I have time. It was such a good book and good end to a wonderful series! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You're putting a huge smile on my face! Not to mention you are extremley awesome!

This is an award free blog. I unfortunatly don't have the time to honor the wonderful awards out there.