Saturday, August 4, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Published by Katherine Tegen Books 2011
Hardcover 487 Pages 

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.
Provided by Goodreads

Recommended for: Everyone (honestly) *Correction, to those who want books with substance*

I've really been beating around the bush to get to this review. I really wanted to write one but what can I possibly say that hasn't been said about this book? I think I have only read one or two reviews on this book, after I read it. Still though it's hard because I've heard all the hype and how people adore this book. Well now I'm one of them. 

I've had my moments/times when I don't read much, either I'm to busy or just get in that not reading rut. I bought this book during one of those times. There was so much hype about it I just couldn't resist. So it sat, and sat, and sat, collecting dust. Sad for any book, but especially this one. However, I'm actually kind of glad that I read this book after the hype, for two reasons. One I think it helped to not be easily influenced either way. Sometimes I think I become so hyped up in the hype that you can easily sway yourself one way or another on a book, then reread it later and say to yourself, "what was I thinking?". Reason number two is that Insurgent had just come out and I didn't have to wait to buy it, in fact I bought it via B&N online when I was reading Divergent, and by the time it got here I was well finished with the book. So I think those things really helped. But you're here for a review so I'll give it my best to do this book justice. 


Wow! I know that's probably the way most people started their reviews of this book, but that says something. It says, this book is AMAZING! Really, honestly, this book is amazing. I loved it from page one until the very last page. Whenever I read this book it had my total attention. There was no point whatsoever where I started to zone out a little. Every page had substance and a reason, there was absolutely no fillers. In fact, I think that's a perfect way to describe this book and everything about it, Substance. Everything about it had it, the characters, the plot, the writing, everything. I felt like every little minor thing was important. More than that every page was so exciting! This book is something totally new and never done before, not in this way and to this standard at least. I actually had to force myself to put the book down many times. I'm not one of those readers who likes to read a book in a sitting, I like to put the book down to be able to think about it. It also draws everything out more so the experience lasts longer. It was hard with this book but I knew it'd be worth it. 


The characters were to die for. I'd love to meet every single one of them, especially Four. Now I definitely see what all the hype was about there. He is one of my most favorite YA men! If not the favorite, but don't tell the other guys that. He is just amazing. And he's not like other YA guys. He's not arrogant but confident. Some would say there's not much of a difference but there definitely is. He's confident and but has weakness, ones that he's not afraid to show Tris. I loved that about him. If I keep going I might just write my own novel, all about him. Basically he's amazing! Now for his counterpart, Tris. Wow, she is also amazing. I loved her courage and how determined she was. I was actually talking to my Aunt today and I think the conversation fits Tris so well. We were talking about college and it being scary. Besides my Dad, I'm the first one going to college on his side of the family. My Aunt told me out of everyone she knew I would because she said I'm the most fearless, that other people in our family didn't because they were scared. I told her that's exactly the opposite, I'm terrified, and she told me that fearlessness is when you're put into a situation where you are afraid but you're more afraid of what will happen if you don't put yourself out there. Basically you know the opportunities that you will miss by not facing your fears. I feel that fits Tris 100%. She was a little nervous but she knew how her life would end up by not taking those risks and not facing the fear of the unknown. She was so courageous and brave and I really found myself admiring her and wanting to be like her. She is such a wonderful role model and somebody I want to strive to be like. She was just amazing, so inspiring.


This book has wowed me in so many ways. The characters, the plot, the writing. It totally swept my into the world and I can't wait to read Insurgent! 


I guess writing instead of homework pays off, who knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You're putting a huge smile on my face! Not to mention you are extremley awesome!

This is an award free blog. I unfortunatly don't have the time to honor the wonderful awards out there.