Friday, August 10, 2012

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White 
Published  by Harper Teen 2010
Hardcover 335 Pages
Read: August  5th-8th 2012

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

Thank you to Goodreads for the summery.
Recommended To: A fun light action packed read that is totally kick ass! 
 This book just did it for me. It had me from the very first sentcence. I know that I've been saying stuff like that a lot lately, but seriously, the past four books I've read have just been amazing, this one definitely included. It's weird because I feel like I've been reading exactly what I need in the exact order I need it in. Unfortunately with the books I'm reading now that's ended a bit, but I'm glad it ended with this one. It's exactly what I needed. With moving to college coming up, which is scary, I needed something light and fun but with some substance, this book totally fit the bill. Again, it was amazing! And again, I don't know why I didn't read it when it came out. I bought it, and there was a ton of hype about it, but I didn't read it. I'm so glad I finally did!  
Believe it or not but I was expecting to not like this book. A definite do not judge a book by it's cover or the hype lesson was learned. Plus the cover threw me off, it's beautiful but it didn't seem to fit the summery, and then when I read the book, it still didn't fit. Oh well, it's still beautiful. I think one of the reasons I didn't read it was because of the hype. I think I'm unconsciously worried that I won't like it. I was so wrong! This book had everything that I love in YA. Like all the books I've been reading lately the characters were all phenomenal! Evie is one of my favorite protagonists ever. She's the best friend that every girl wants, and what a fabulous friend she'd be! The plot was new and fresh and kept me reading. I really liked that this book was about all things paranormal, and I mean ALL things, but has somewhat of a focus on faeries. The writing was so much fun. Like I said this book had everything.
One of the best thins in this book are the relationships between Evie and everyone. Her relationship with Raquel left me giving my heart out to her, not actual wording of the saying. Reth's relationship with Evie is super complicated and kind of twisted in some ways, I love it and can't wait to see more of them together! Lish really helped keep Evie grounded, ironic since she herself was of the water, she was a great friend and support for Evie. And then there's Lend. For me this is the perfect YA romance, slow but steady. I loved that it started as acquaintance to friend to more. I loved that Evie was wondering if their hand holding was just a supportive hand holding or was an actual meaningful hand holding. I want to see this more in YA, a slow and beautiful romance. Ones where people get excited about holding hands, not just going right to sex. I have been growing a bit of a pet peeve towards this recently, but that's for another post. Anyway it was just so beautiful the way their relationship started and grew. It was simple and back to honest emotions that felt so real. I absolutely loved it! And I absolutely loved this book, one of my all time favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You're putting a huge smile on my face! Not to mention you are extremley awesome!

This is an award free blog. I unfortunatly don't have the time to honor the wonderful awards out there.