Sunday, August 14, 2011

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins (Spoiler Free)

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins (Spoiler Free)
Published by Hyperion 2011
Hardcover 359 Pages
(Remember these? Book Reviews, which I have been super bad about posting latley. I hope you enjoy the first of many more to come!)
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

Recommended To: Anyone who's read Hex Hall! No matter if you loved it, hated it, were somewhere in between, READ THIS BOOK! This book is especially recommended to anyone who needs a light read but that can steal your heart and have a good impact on it!

Wow! I loved Hex Hall, it was enticing and drew me into the series. Demonglass.....it stole my heart and blew my mind! Thankfully, Demonglass doesn't follow the trilogy trend of disappointing second books, we'll have to think of a name for that trend. It was so amazing! I just loved it! So I'm sure you all don't want to listen to me rant and rave and keep saying I loved it, so if you weren't thinking of reading this book I'll give you some reasons why.

Like I said before Hex Hall was great but Demonglass was just amazing! I was a little worried because of the trilogy trend which seems to affect every trilogy I've read, and weirdly enough not series. This book was just so beyond my expectations. So in this book Sophie leaves Hex Hall for the summer to "Bond" with her Dad who happens to live in England, so cool (living in England, but bonding is cool too)! At first I was worried about her leaving Hex Hall because it, and the people there, played a huge part in the story. Turns out, leaving Hex Hall was a really good idea because this book might even be better than the first. Plus all the major characters are still around and there are some new characters that really add to the story. Let's also not forget, for all of us who've read Hex Hall, the big surprise. It, of course, plays a huge role in this book. I found that Demonglass focused a lot more on relationships and kick-butt action where Hex Hall was just a small introduction into Sophie's journey. There was so much more to this story than Hex Hall.

One of the best things in this series is Hawkins writing. Somehow Hawkins continues to give us a book full of action and serious matters while still managing to write some of the most hilarious books I've ever read. I LOVE Sophie's sarcasm! Actually every character has some sass-i-ness going on and it makes this book so enjoyable. It helps to keep the book light while still taking you on wild roller coaster ride. And Hawkins is one of the Queens of those twists and turns. Mentally I was rocked a little at the beginning, then thrown and tossed about in the middle, then finally Hawkins decided "what the hell, let's make things a little more interesting?", turned the boat a whole 90 degrees and I went flying into the sea! What an ending, what a horribly cruel ending, one of the cruelest that I've ever read. Don't get me wrong, it was a great suspense ending, but oh so cruel! This is one of the best suspense books I've ever read. Even if you're a hater, which I'd be a little shocked to find but I'm sure these books don't for someone out there, you have to be a little curious about what happens. And let's not forget the biggest question and problem of them all! Not even the ending can beat this dilemma, Archer vs. Cal! Why Rachel Hawkins why?!

So I loved Cal in book one, even though he didn't play an extremely big role, I really liked him. But my heart was with Archer. Now book two, throws us all for a big loop in many ways and one of those for me was Cal. Now I'm completely in love with him and Archer. And I just can't decide! Normally I'm a little more this way or that way when it comes to two guy characters. These two just throw me for a loop. I love them both so much. Now I'm pretty sure we all can guess the way things are going to work out in Spell Bound and I'm good with that, at the same time my heart goes out to the other guy. But wait. This means he's single right? Well this is good news to me, I'll have to watch to find out where he ends up and go on vacation there and fall in love. *Sighs* If only book characters were real. Anyway, either way I'm excited to see how Spell Bound wraps up the series. Which is really sad actually, I feel like this series should have and could have gone on for longer. But what do I know? I'm just excited for Sophie and what's bound to be an amazing finish to a wonderful trilogy!

Quick Note: I just wanted to let you all know that all future books in series, and not, I will try my absolute best to keep spoiler free. If for some reason I just can't help myself I will add at the beginning of the post, may contain spoilers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVED this book. And I am totally Team Cal. In book 1 I did like Archer, but after book 2 it was no contest, CAL ALL THE WAY! It really depresses me that Archer may end up with the girl in the end...I want it to be Cal SO bad. *sigh* Gosh, I'm so excited for Spellbound.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You're putting a huge smile on my face! Not to mention you are extremley awesome!

This is an award free blog. I unfortunatly don't have the time to honor the wonderful awards out there.