Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Past Midnight by Mara Purhagen
Published by Harlequin Teen 2010
Paperback 216 Pages
This book was provided to me by the Harlequin Teen Panal for an honest review.

Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear.
All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive….
Recomended For: If you want a good ghost adventure book with a little romance. It's a fast and lighter read.
 
Review: Looking for a Ghost Hunters type ghost book? Well look no further! (Ok that was probably the worst intro ever)  So this book starts with Charlotte and her "non-believer" Ghost Hunter parents. Unfortunatly they trigger something that should never happen, and what they trigger is following Charlotte.
 
I was intrigued that Purnhagen, who believes in ghosts, went in a different direction and had her characters be "non-believers". I liked it though, I think that there are so many ghost books out there today where every character believes right away and then fall in love. Not in this story, and I liked the change. It added to the stories and all the problems that came up because these characters really don't believe and try to come up with other explinations. I really liked the whole ghost story aspect of it all, I wish there was a little more though. I hope that Purnhagen continues with this great start to what will hopefully be a good series.
 
This story is a chicklit. The rest of this book was all about high school and fiting in. It deals with girl drama, a little romance, and a small mystery. The characters were good and the relationships were built in a realistic way. I really liked how Noah and Charlotte's realtionship was built, and I can't wait to see where they go in the next book, along with all the other characters.
 
So a really short review and I'm sorry for not posting every day. I didn't realize that all the stuff I have to get done would take as much time as it's taking. As of today I'm doing a bunch of stuff to lessen my list and be able to have more time devoted to books!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I've been wanting to read this one and heard that it was good. The synopsis had me seriously curious and intrigued. I'll have to see if the library has it. Awesome review, Kate!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You're putting a huge smile on my face! Not to mention you are extremley awesome!

This is an award free blog. I unfortunatly don't have the time to honor the wonderful awards out there.